Ah, the beignet! This iconic New Orleans treat, usually deep-fried and generously dusted with powdered sugar, is a must-try for anyone visiting the Crescent City.
But what if you could recreate this sugary delight in the comfort of your home with a healthier twist? Enter the air fryer beignet. With the same fluffy inside and crispy outside, this version is lighter on the calories but not on taste. Let's embark on a culinary journey to the heart of Louisiana without leaving your kitchen.
Air Fryer Beignets Recipe
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Rolling Pin
- Kitchen Knife or Pizza Cutter
- Sifter (for powdered sugar)
- Pastry Brush
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/4 cup Granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup Warm milk
- 1 tablespoon Active dry yeast
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- In a small bowl, combine the warm milk and yeast. Let it sit for about 5 minutes until it becomes frothy.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Add the yeast mixture, melted butter, egg, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients. Mix until a soft dough forms.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough for about 5 minutes until smooth.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/2-inch thickness. Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough into 2-inch squares.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F (175°C).
- Place the beignet squares in the air fryer basket in a single layer, ensuring they don't touch.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes, flipping halfway, until they are golden brown and puffed up.
- Remove from the air fryer and immediately dust with a generous amount of powdered sugar using a sifter.
- Ensure the milk is warm, not hot, to activate the yeast properly.
- Don't overcrowd the air fryer basket; cook in batches if necessary.
- For an extra touch of flavor, consider adding a pinch of nutmeg or cinnamon to the dough.
- Serve with a side of chocolate or caramel sauce for dipping.
There you have it, a taste of New Orleans right in your kitchen! These air fryer beignets are perfect for breakfast, dessert, or any time you want a sweet treat. They're lighter than the traditional deep-fried version but just as delicious. So why wait for a trip to the Big Easy? Dive into this recipe and bring a touch of Mardi Gras to your home today.
Laissez les bon temps rouler! (Let the good times roll!)