Fried rice is a versatile Chinese classic that is a great recipe to have in your back pocket. It can be simplified to be a quick vegetarian option or jazzed up with other proteins and vegetables to create a more substantial meal. Either way our chicken fried rice recipe is a delicious, budget friendly meal suitable for the whole family.
CHICKEN FRIED RICE RECIPE
- 4 cups leftover rice cold
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 blocks tofu pressed (optional)
- 6 tablespoon oil divided in 3
- 1 onions
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 carrots large
- 1 pak choi head
- 4 eggs
- pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon chilli flake
- ½ cup Soy Sauce
- 2 Spring Onions
- Cut your chicken breasts into 1cm thick strips and slice your tofu into batons.
- Crack your eggs into a bowl, season with a pinch of salt and the chili flakes and whisk with chopsticks to combine.
- Dice the onions and carrots, finely chop the garlic, separate the pak choi and set aside.
- Heat 2tbl of the oil in a wok on medium high heat and fry off the chicken then the tofu in batches and set aside.
- In the same oil (to retain the flavours) fry off the carrots and onions until they are almost soft. Add the garlic and continue to fry until the onions turns translucent.
- Then add the pak choi to wilt it. Set aside.
- Turn the heat up to high and add another 2tbl of oil.
- Pour in the eggs and scramble with the chopsticks until they’re fully cooked.
- As soon as the eggs are cooked add the final 2 tbl of oil and add the rice. Toss to combine.
- Season the rice with soy and allow it to warm through.
- Add the protein and vegetables back in along with the spring onions and toss to combine.
- Plate in large bowls, top with spring onions for garnish and enjoy!
- You can substitute the pak choi for regular cabbage if necessary.
- Pressing your tofu before cooking allows it to absorb more flavour as well as resulting in a better texture.
- Check out your local Chinese supermarket to pick up a lot of these ingredients for a better price than your average supermarket.