Crispy, crunchy fried chicken is a takeout classic that is high on a lot of people’s favourite food lists. But now you don’t need to take a trip through your local drive thru to get the crispy goodness you crave, you can do it easily in the comfort of your own home. The key is the double breaded method that we have honed to perfection and now we are sharing it with you! So, here's our crispy fried chicken recipe…
Crispy Fried Chicken Recipe
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oreganum
- 1 ½ cups panko crumbs
- vegetable oil
- Slice your chicken breasts into 1cm thick strips and cut those strips in half. Set aside.
- In a shallow dish mix together the flour, cayenne pepper, salt and oreganum. Place the panko crumbs in a separate shallow dish.
- In small batches dip your chicken strips into the flour, then into the egg and finally into the panko crumbs.
- While you are preparing the chicken preheat your oil to 180o C (approximately if you don’t have a thermometer) in a heavy bottomed saucepan or frying pan over a medium high heat. This recipe works for both shallow and deep-frying so the amount of oil is up to you.
- Fry in small batches for 5 minutes until golden brown and cooked all the way through.
- Drain on paper towels to prevent them from going soft.
- Serve with some nice crispy chips and a vegetable of your choice.
Fried Chicken is loved all over the world (and probably has been for a very long time!
Did you know that the first recorded mentions of fried chicken date back to a 1747 British cookbook with a recipe for marinated chicken written by Scottish settlers to America who have influenced “Southern Fried” cooking as we know it today
Here are some more great chicken recipes you will love!
Polenta Crusted Chicken With Char-Grilled Corn Salsa
Air Fryer Fried Chicken
Southern Fried Chicken With Potato Wedges