Fish and chips is a dish that has been a staple of UK cooking for generations.
Did you know that fish and chips weren’t rationed during World War II as Prime Minister Winston Churchill thought that it might cause nationwide discontent?
And now, with the help of your deep fat fryer and this easy recipe, you can make this comforting classic at home. So follow along below for some tasty, crispy goodness.
CLASSIC FISH AND CHIPS RECIPE
- 4 pieces of hake
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cup beer
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 potatoes
- vegetable oil
- Peel your potatoes, cut them in half and slice into 0.5cm chips. Place in a bowl of cold water to rinse off the excess starch and set aside.
- For the batter: combine the flour and seasonings in a bowl. Crack in the egg and pour in the beer, whisking to combine. Only mix until the batter has come together. Set aside to rest.
- Preheat your deep fat fryer to 180o C, this temperature will suit the chips and the fish.
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil and drain your potatoes.
- Boil the chips in batches until they are still firm but a knife passes through easily. Drain well.
- Fry the chips in the deep fat frier in batches until golden brown and crispy. Drain on paper towel and salt liberally.
- Now take your pieces of hake and submerge them completely in the batter so they are evenly coated. Place in the deep fat fryer and fry for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Drain on paper towel before serving with a nice helping of golden chips
And there you have it! A classic fish and chips recipe that you can easily make at home. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Be sure to leave us a rating.