This soup is also simple to make, so if you want to get a taste of the warmth, here is the recipe in case you wish to try making it yourself.
Ham And Bean Soup Recipe
- 3 cups or 2 cans White beans
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Carrots, sliced
- 1.5 cups Celery, chopped
- 3-4 Cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups Water
- 2 cups Chicken or vegetable stock, optional
- 2.5 pounds Ham hock
- Add the beans and the water in a pot and place them over high heat. Allow the water to boil before turning the heat off. Let the beans soak for around 1.5-2 hours and then discard the water.
- In the meantime, take some water and the ham hock in another pot and let the water come to a boil. You should then keep the heat low for 30-45 minutes.
- After the beans are ready, take all your vegetables and seasoning and cook them together in the same pot as the beans. You can also do this on a separate pan if your beans are still cooking.
- Add the hams along with their stock (or separate chicken stock) to the beans and vegetables.
- Give the soup 30 minutes to simmer.
- If you do not want to spend 3 hours waiting for your soup to cook, you can also opt for a quicker method by preparing the beans in advance, cooking your vegetables and then adding the stock, water and ham to let it simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- This recipe also works extremely well with chunks or pieces of ham that you might have leftover in your fridge. You can grate or shred them and add them to the soup base towards the end of the cooking process.
Ham And Bean Soup Recipe: FAQ
What Can I Add to My Ham And Bean Soup for More Flavour?
You can benefit greatly from allowing your vegetables to brown up a bit more in the beginning so that they become more tender and flavourful. Adding a few drops of pepper sauce or similar kinds of seasoning will also help if you are already done preparing the soup.
Do I Need Baking Soda in My Ham and Bean Soup?
Although it is not essential, you can add baking soda along with the water used for cooking the beans. This will help quicken the cooking process.
Ham and bean soup is the ideal winter comfort food. If you are craving this soup, it is time to decide on a day, gather all the ingredients and start cooking. Have plenty of patience for this recipe and find something to keep yourself occupied so that the waiting period becomes a little bit sweeter.