A halogen oven is a kind of cooking pot that relies on a halogen lamp for cooking certain kinds of foods. This can be a quick and efficient method of cooking and can also work pretty well for cooking chips. OK then here's how to cook chips in a halogen oven. Our easy, step-by-step guide.
How To Cook Chips In A Halogen Oven
If you don’t want to go through the long process of frying your chips in heaps of oil, you can simply make use of the halogen oven for great results. The following steps and methods can take you through some ways in which you can cook chips in a halogen oven.
The first thing you should do here is to slice your potatoes. How you cut your slices can depend on your preference. For instance, you can slice them up thin and even or you can make them a bit thicker like wedges.
You should ideally peel off the skin of the potatoes for more uniform cooking, although leaving them on is technically okay too, except that it might take a bit longer.
You can also cut your chips up with curly edges using a specialised knife if this is something you and your family prefer. You can then move on to cooking them in the halogen oven by using one of the following methods.
Parboil And Cook
The first and most effective way to cook your chips using your halogen oven is to actually start off by partially boiling them in a saucepan and then placing them in the halogen oven. You can go through the steps involved in the process below.
- Place the sliced chips in a saucepan or pot and pour some water over them.
- Place this pot on the stove and turn on the heat so that the chips can start cooking.
- Leave them for five minutes and turn the heat off until you notice that they are partially cooked.
- Remove the pot from the heat and strain out the water as thoroughly as possible.
- You can also use some paper towels to dry the chips completely.
- After this process, you should place the partially cooked chips on the tray or rack that you will then place in the halogen oven. Alternatively, you can also place them in the oven basket or directly in the oven bowl.
- Spray some oil on these chips.
- You can then adjust the temperature and settings of the halogen oven, turn it on and wait for the chips to cook thoroughly.
- Make sure to follow other instructions depending on what your particular model suggests.
Increase The Temperature
Another method in which you can cook your chips in the halogen oven is by directly starting out with the oven, first at a low temperature and then at a higher temperature. The steps involved are as follows.
- Make sure you cut the slices as evenly as possible for this step so that they can all cook and fry up evenly as well.
- Once you manage to do this, spread them out on a tray and use a kitchen brush to coat all the chips with the desired oil of your choice. Make sure you carry this out in a uniform manner by covering all sides of the chips properly.
- You can then go ahead and place the coated chips in the oven basket or rack.
- Turn the halogen oven on and adjust the settings and temperature, starting out with a temperature of around 150℃.
- Leave the chips at this temperature for about five minutes or so, or until the chips are partially cooked and soft.
- You can then increase the temperature to around 200℃ and let the chips cook until they change color to golden brown.
- Remove the chips carefully, draining out any of the excess oil in the halogen oven as you do so.
While this is a reliable method to cook the chips, you should note that you might have to use quite a bit of oil during the coating process.
Cook At Consistently High Temperature
You can also maintain a consistently high temperature throughout the process using the following steps.
- Make sure you cut the chips in uniform slices.
- Place the chips on a tray and coat them with a bit of oil.
- You can then place them on the rack or in the basket of the halogen oven. Make sure you spread them out properly on the rack without any of them touching.
- Once this is done, you can turn the oven on to a temperature of 200℃.
- Allow the chips to cook for up to 15 minutes until you notice that they are golden brown and well cooked.
Attach An Air Fryer
You can simply use an air fryer for cooking your chips. You might either have one included in your halogen oven purchase or you might have to buy one separately. Either way, place your oil-coated chips in this air fryer and then attach the fryer to the top of it before turning it on.
You can then adjust the temperature as required based on the kind of halogen oven you have or what it instructs you to do.
Cook Frozen Chips
Cooking frozen chips that you bought straight from the supermarket is actually quite easy if you have a halogen oven. Simply remove as many chips as you want (or all of them), place them in the halogen oven and read the instructions on the packaging carefully.
This should give you a good idea about the temperature and settings to use. You can then turn the oven on and make the adjustments and cook the chips for the stipulated amount of time. Cook them for a bit longer at low temperatures if you think they still need more time.
How To Cook Chips In A Halogen Oven: The Bottom Line
Those were some effective methods that you can use to cook chips in a halogen oven. You can pick a method that works best for you, although the method involving parboiling and then cooking in the oven is bound to give you the best results. You can now go ahead and start cooking some perfect chips.