Many years ago, most folk weren’t mindful of their lifestyle. Fat-laden food was all the rage. Recently, more and more people are switching to healthier lifestyles. A healthy lifestyle helps you maintain a good weight and keeps you away from the doctor.
At times like this then, when people are gradually beginning to take their health more seriously, this guide seeks to open your eyes to why using a grill pan is healthier than a frying pan. Like most people, you should, however, not confuse a good flavour for a healthy meal. That's not to say you can't find a healthy meal with good taste.
- Is Using A Grill Pan Healthier?
- Why A Grill Pan Is Healthier?
- Extra Benefits Of Grill Pan Cooking
- Tips For Using A Grill Pan To Prepare A Healthy Meal
- Is Using A Grill Pan Healthier? Summing Up
Is Using A Grill Pan Healthier?
Talking about healthy food, you should understand that it's not all about the ingredients. The process of preparing the meal is also paramount. You may have perfect ingredients but end up with a vast pile of unhealthy food. Just to mention a few; diabetes, stroke, and blood pressure are some of the most common but serious health conditions caused by poor nutrition habits.
It's worth noting that these conditions are difficult to contain and may end up draining all savings and other resources. This guide highlights the fundamental nutritional aspects of the grill pan and why it's healthier than the frying pan.
Why A Grill Pan Is Healthier?
There are numerous benefits to using a grill pan over a frying pan. These include:
1. Requires Minimal Cooking Fat
In the modern-day, among the leading culprits of unhealthy lifestyles are fats. Most people are consuming more fats in the name of delicacies. By reducing the number of fats, you improve on your health significantly. Grill pans guarantee foods with minimal fat content and low calories. Also, grilled food has less calorie content compared to fried foods.
You, therefore, keep fit and manage your weight more easily. Minimal fat intake lowers cholesterol levels in the blood, which improves cardiovascular health. You can prevent the risk of obesity, stroke, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease.
The following are major selling points why a grill pan prepares healthy foods compared to an ordinary frying pan as far as cooking fats are concerned.
2. Constructed With Ridges
These ridges on the grill pan allow the proteins to lose natural fats. They flow beneath the ridges freely, leaving fat-free proteins. Although not all fats are ejected, you are saved from consuming massive amounts of fats.
You do not have to preheat your grill pan with oil as you do with a frying pan. Once again, the grill pan saves you from preparing a meal with too much fat. You, therefore, are guaranteed a healthy dinner with a grill pan.
4. Construction Material
Both grill pans are commonly crafted from cast iron or cast aluminium, giving them a natural non-stick feature. This means that only little oil is required to prepare your food, allowing you to cook healthy yet delicious dishes without jeopardizing the flavour.
5. Lesser Cooking Time
The grill pan has a shorter cooking time. The quick cooking time ensures that minimal moisture and nutrients are lost from your food. You, therefore, consume food with great nutritional value. Remarkably healthy cooking gives you physical fitness, overall wellbeing, and good health.
6. Can Withstand High Temperature
Furthermore, a grill pan can withstand extremely high temperatures such as 5000F without emitting fumes. You cook your food without smoke and harmful fumes. Frying pans made from Teflon and other light materials cannot withstand such heat without producing toxic fumes (PFOA – perfluorooctanoic acid linked to causing cancer is found inside the Teflon).
Extra Benefits Of Grill Pan Cooking
Besides healthier cooking, you can mint some additional benefits by using a grill pan over a frying pan.
You can use the grill pan on various heat sources such as gas, electricity, induction, and campfire. You can cook with it in an oven too. You thus have a lot of options.
Excellent Heat Retention
Grill pans, especially those made from cast iron, can accommodate very high temperatures, making them ideal for grilling and baking. The grill pan, however, takes a lot more time to heat up.
Although the grill pan is used at extremely high temperatures, most of them are fabricated from solid cast iron. They are therefore durable and of high quality.
Easy To Maintain
If you own the non-stick pan, you are assured an effortless time cleaning the pan. To ensure its longevity, don't use harsh products to clean the pan. You only need to wash it with a soft sponge and soapy water and then dry it before storing it.
Tips For Using A Grill Pan To Prepare A Healthy Meal
- Always wash the grill pan carefully before you prepare a meal. It’s advisable to wash the pan before and after using it. Once clean, rinse it and dry it to erase traces of dust that may contaminate your food.
- Preheat the grill pan for 5 minutes before putting food on top. This option allows your meal a deep-savoury flavour and ensures hot spots that may overcook the meal do not appear.
- Slice the food into thin pieces. Thin slices ensure uniform burning. You don't want a scenario where the surface burns while the middle section remains raw. You also get the much-desired char marks on your food.
- You should brush your food with oil before placing it on the pan to ensure that it does not stick and the oil does not burn.
- Place the food on the pan gently. If need be, use tongs to avoid injuries. Also, place the pieces apart from each other. The grill pan is enormous and thus gives you enough space to lay your sliced pieces.
- Add spices to achieve the desired flavour and cover the pan. The lid helps in enhancing the flavours that you add.
- Do not hasten the food. Once you place the food on the pan, do not be very fast to move it. Let the food cook for some time, then start moving it. You flip the food pieces when ready. First, check whether the food is cooked fully on one side before flipping. You can use tongs to half turn the food before fully turning the food.
Is Using A Grill Pan Healthier? Summing Up
Although a grill pan is considered healthier than a frying pan, you should refrain from overcooking your food to the point of burning. It exposes you to other health risks. For instance, a substance called heterocyclic amines forms on charred foods. It is considered carcinogenic in animal studies.
Lastly, meals prepared on a grill pan are even tastier than food prepared on all other sorts of cookware. You get the nutritional value of the grill pan plus additional benefits such as delicious food and versatility in the kitchen. Use a grill pan; stay healthy.