Risotto is an Italian classic that has become a comforting, cheesy staple in home cuisine. This dish can appear to be intimidating with many fumbles being documented across many cooking shows but never fear, this is a simple recipe using a classic flavour combination that, if prepared with care, will result in a nourishing dinner that will be a hit with the whole family. As with most dishes a little tender loving care is all you need.
PEA AND HAM RISOTTO RECIPE
- 4 tablespoon butter separated in 2
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 ½ cup arborio rice
- ¾ cup white wine
- chicken stock
- 1 cup peas
- 250 grams ham
- ¼ cup parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 80 grams parmesan
- salt and pepper
- Heat half the butter with a splash of olive oil over a medium/high heat and saute the onions and garlic.
- Add the rice and combine so all the rice is coated in butter.
- Deglaze with the wine and allow it to cook off.
- Now its time to start adding the stock, two ladels to start and after that one at a time. Allow the stock to fully absorb before adding the next one. You will know its time to add the next ladel when you drag your spoon through the rice and it leaves a trail.
- Keep slowly adding stock until the rice is al dente.
- Add the parsley, olive oil and second amount of butter and stir through.
- Add the peas, ham and parmesan and stir through until the peas are war.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with a sprig of parsley on top.
- Risotto can be tricky but the most important factor is adding your stock slowly and letting it fully absorb before adding more. The amount of stock you need will vary depending on many factors so make more than you might need and just freeze the remainder for future use.
- “Al dente” means soft with a little crunch in the middle.
Risotto, when cooked correctly is an incredibly tasty dish and this pea and ham risotto recipe is so easy to make! We hope you enjoy it as much as we did making it (and eating it). Remember, it's important to use the arborio type of rice. Don't use leftover rice you made with your rice cooker. Safe your leftover rice for make our delicious chicken fried rice recipe.