A delicious summertime salad recipe is peach and pickled mushroom salad with feta, green onion and blueberries. Grilled sweet peaches and pickled mushroom with blueberries, feta, onion and a flavourful dressing are served on top of fresh salad greens. This recipe for grilled peach salad is a great meal for a weeknight.
Fruit adds a lovely sweetness to a green salad that works well with the slight saltiness of the feta cheese and the dressing. What a lovely combination!
A Word On The Ingredients For This Recipe
Dijon mustard: Dijon mustard is a traditional French condiment that gets its name from the French town of Dijon, which is in Burgundy. Verjuice, the acidic juice of unripe grapes, was used in place of vinegar in prepared mustard to create Dijon mustard. Dijon mustard has many health benefits such as speeding up metabolism, helping with digestion and lowering blood pressure.
Olive oil: Olive oil is a liquid fat that is made by pressing whole olives and extracting the oil. It is frequently used in the kitchen: for frying food varieties or as a salad dressing. Health benefits of olive oil include powerful anti-inflammatory properties, it’s rich in healthy fats and it has the potential to prevent strokes.
Honey: Honey is great way to add sweetness to any dish to replace sugar. It is great for many things, especially the fact that it’s a good source of antioxidants. If you use crystallised raw honey, simply measure it into the bowl where all the liquids are being mixed and let it sit for five minutes.
Lemon Juice: A member of the flowering plant family Rutaceae, the lemon is a species of small, evergreen trees. The yellow, elliptical fruit of the tree is used for both culinary and non-culinary purposes all over the world. Lemons reduce cancer risk, supports heart health, prevents kidney stones and helps control weight.
Peaches: The peach is a deciduous tree that was first cultivated and domesticated in the Eastern Chinese province of Zhejiang. It produces juicy, edible fruits with a variety of characteristics. Health benefits of peaches include helping with digestion, boosting immunity and protecting skin.
Blueberries: Blueberries are a group of perennial flowering plants with blue or purple berries that are found in a lot of places around the world. The health benefits of blueberries include them being low in calories and high in nutrients, lowering blood pressure and preventing heart disease.
Pine nuts: Pine nuts are not technically a nut because they are actually the pine tree's seeds. Few foods offer as many advantages in terms of nutrition. Pine nuts improve eyesight, boosts energy, reduce heart disease risk, helps with managing weight and lowers cholesterol.
Green onion: Green onions, also known as spring onions or scallions, is simply an onion that is harvested before it reaches maturity. The onion's green tops have reached a dark color at this point, indicating an acceptable level of flavor and a tender texture. Green onions are rich in nutrients and antioxidants, they promote heart health, they assist with blood sugar control and they increase digestive health.
Pickled mushrooms: The fleshy fungus known as a mushroom typically grows above ground, or in close proximity to its it source of sustenance. The health benefits of mushrooms include protecting brain health, lowering cholesterol and decreasing the risk of cancer.
Feta: Feta is a Greek brined white cheese made from goat and sheep milk or a combination of the two .It has very few cuts, no skin, is soft, and has very few or no holes. Feta cheese is good for supporting bone health, assisting with weight management as well as containing healthy fatty acids.
- Strawberry may substitute for blueberries.
- You can use goat cheese instead of feta cheese or leave it out.
- Nectarines or strawberries are suitable alternatives to peaches.
- If you don't want to grill the peaches, that’s fine. Either way, this salad is delicious.
- It is recommended that you pour on the salad dressing just before serving so that the fruit and vegetables remain crunchy.
- Since this salad is mainly made up of fresh fruit and vegetables, it will not last for a very long time.
- You can put the salad in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Freezing this salad is not recommended.
How To Skin Peaches
- Put a large pot of water to boil.
- Submerge the peaches in the boiling water. Leave them in there for roughly 30-60 seconds.
- To stop the cooking process, immediately plunge the peaches into ice water. Soak for two to three minutes. Then take them out and dry them on paper towels.
- Drain the water out and remove the skin.
Peach And Pickled Mushroom Salad
- 900 grams Mushrooms
- 6 Bay leaves
- 6 Garlic cloves
- 6 tablespoon Vinegar
- 1/2 cup White vinegar 5% acidity
- 2 cup Water
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 8 Whole peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon. Salt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup Honey
- 3 tablespoon Lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 Peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- ½ cup Blueberries
- ¼ cup Pine nuts toasted
- 7 cups Mixed salad greens
- ½ cup Green onion, chopped finely
- ¼ cup Pickled mushrooms
- ½ cup Feta cheese, chopped finely
- Put the cleaned and washed mushrooms in a pot. Fill the pot with enough water to cover the mushrooms.
- Bring the water to a boil with half a cup of vinegar, cook for 15 minutes. Discard the liquid from the cooked mushrooms and set them aside.
- To make the marinade, bring the water, salt, sugar, bay leaves, and peppercorns to a boil in a separate pot. Add 6 tablespoons of vinegar to the ingredients once the sugar and salt have dissolved. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Garlic should be cleaned and sliced into small pieces before being placed in the jars at the bottom. Cooked mushrooms will be added to the jars.
- The marinade must full cover the mushrooms. Use lids to close the jars and keep them in the refrigerator. They can be kept for several weeks.
- The majority of salad dressings require acidic ingredients like vinegar or citrus juice. Then, a light oil, like extra-virgin olive oil, is added.
- The next step is to season it with some salt and pepper.
- Honey is a great sweetener to add to counteract the acidic flavor.
- It couldn't be easier to mix! Simply add all of the dressing ingredients to a bowl and whisk. Alternately, add to a lidded small mason jar and vigorously shake.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the salad dressing in a dish. Place aside.
- Place the fresh salad greens in a large dish for serving. Sprinkle the feta cheese, blueberries, green onion, pickled mushrooms and pine nuts on top. Put aside.
- Put the peaches into a bowl of ice water after blanching them in boiling water. Peeling them will then be much easier. Use a small paring knife to peel them if you are unable to blanch them. Peaches should be peeled, cut in half, and the pit should be removed.
- Turn up the heat on your frying pan or grill to medium-high. Use some of the dressing to brush the peaches. Then, cook the peaches until they have a nice char on them by placing the cut sides on the surface of the grill or frying pan. Put them on a cutting board and leave to cool.
- Slice the peaches when they are cool enough to handle and arrange them on the salad.
- Pour the dressing uniformly over the plate of mixed greens and serve right away.