Sticky toffee self-saucing pudding is the perfect combination of moistness, sweetness and that satisfying ooziness. Instead of adding sauce to the top, you can add it to your batter to obtain an iconic rich and gooey layer.
To learn how to do this successfully, take a look at this simple recipe.
Sticky Toffee Self-Saucing Pudding Recipe
- 200 grams Pitted and chopped dates, preferably Medjool dates
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- 3 Eggs
- 300 grams Dark brown sugar leave more for the sauce
- 1.5 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 100 grams or 1.5 cups Melted butter
- 250 grams or 2.5 cups Self-raising flour
- 3 cups Boiling water
- 1.5 cups Heavy cream
- 1 cup Milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Take some boiling water in a large bowl and soak the dates in it for half an hour.
- Take a saucepan, turn the heat on and add the remaining water, heavy cream and more than half of the dark brown sugar. Mix it all together to form a sauce and place it aside.
- Take another bowl and combine the eggs, flour, baking soda, milk, butter and sugar. Whisk everything together properly.
- Take the combination of dates and water and blend them together.
- Add the date sauce to the batter and mix.
- Grease a baking tray and pour the batter in.
- Pour the sauce on top and bake for 40 minutes.
- Ensure that everything you use for this pudding is at the same temperature. Nothing should be hot or cold, so if it is, allow it some time to come to room temperature.
- If the contents in your baking tin look too wet or chaotic from the top, don’t worry! The baking time will turn the cake moist and the sauce gooey in just the right way.
Is Sticky Date Pudding the Same As Sticky Toffee Self-Saucing Pudding?
Sticky date pudding and sticky toffee self-saucing pudding are essentially the same since both use the same ingredients. Based on the region, however, there might be some distinctions in the recipe.
Why Are Dates Used in Sticky Toffee Pudding?
Dates have naturally high sugar levels that help provide sweetness to your pudding. This way, even if you want to reduce the levels of additional sugar, you will be able to carry this out easily.
Sticky Toffee Self-Saucing Pudding Recipe: Parting Thoughts
Sticky toffee self-saucing pudding is a well-loved dish around the UK as well as many other parts of the world. It is also extremely delicious and simple to whip up, so roll your sleeves up and make your way to the kitchen. You can also turn this into a team effort with your friends and family.