About 15 years ago, an ingenious chef changed the game and raised the standard for the ever beloved, Potato Chip. By simply adding a few more steps to the cooking process Heston Blumenthal created a masterpiece. Once you bite through the crunchy golden exterior into the fluffy white cloud in the centre, you will be convinced that this is the new standard of making chips. You will not be able to enjoy the common ‘twice cooked chip' *insert rolling eyes of disdain emoji* anymore.
How To Make Delicious Triple Cooked Chips
Let’s have a look at how to make these delicious 3 times cooked chips. Firstly, you have to cut your Maris Piper potatoes into 2cm sticks (about 2 x 2 x 6cm), I love rustic chips and don't bother with achieving perfection however if you are practicing your knife skills, try cutting them all into identical sticks. After cutting them into chips, rinse them with cold water to wash off excess starch.
In a large pot, cover the chips with cold water and place on the stove over high heat until soft (about 20 minutes). Starting the chips in boiling water will result in deformed and mushy chips, the cold-water start will ensure that the centre of each chip has time to heat up and cook evenly without the exterior over-cooking. Place the chips on a cooling rack to drain excess water and cool them completely. As soon as they have cooled, place them in a freezer for at least an hour to remove even more moisture.
Fill a large pot or deep fryer half-way with grapeseed or peanut oil (sunflower or palm oil will also do) and heat to 130°C. In small batches, fry the chips for about 5 minutes or until a light crust has developed, then let cool on a cooling rack again and place in the freezer for another hour. At this stage they can stay in the freezer for a few days if you plan on making this in advance.
Heat the oil to 180°C before starting the second frying stage. Again, in small batches fry your chips until golden brown (about 7 minutes). Place them on paper towel to drain the excess oil and season them with salt while still piping hot.
Triple Cooked Chips Recipe
- 1 kilogram Maris Piper Potatoes
- 1 Grapeseed or Peanut oil (enough to half fill your pot/ deep fryer)
- 1 Flaky Salt
- Cut potatoes into 2cm thick chips (about 2cm x 2cm x 6cm)
- Rinse the cut potatoes to wash off excess starch
- In a large pot cover the chips with cold water and place on high heat, boil for about 20 minutes or until chips are almost falling apart
- Carefully transfer the chips to a cooling rack, let cool and place in freezer for at least 1 hour
- Fill a pot or deep fryer halfway with oil and heat to 130°C
- In small batches fry chips until a light crust form, about 5 minutes
- Transfer back to cooling rack and let cool completely before returning to freezer for another hour
- Heat oil to 180°C
- Fry chips again, until golden brown and crispy about 7 to 10 minutes
- Transfer chips to a plate lined with paper towel to drain oil
- While still hot, season with flaky salt and enjoy!