What are the best vegetable juice recipes to drink in the morning?
Fresh juices that are high in vegetable content and lower in sugars are the best start to your day. Making fresh juices isn’t as hard as you think and will quickly become part of your healthy daily routine. Too start with you may add a little apple to sweeten your vegetable juice as your palate gets used to the new routine. Slowly reduce your sugar intake and watch your energy grow as you will no longer be spiking your insulin first thing in the morning like orange juices can.
You want to avoid the juices of the shelf in the store as they are not as fresh as you think and often have been fiddled with or sugar added to make their shelf life longer. The less processed the better the juice. It is much healthier to make your own juices at home. You can make a batch of juice that will last 1-3 days in your fridge before it starts to break down and lose its nutrient content, this makes it easy to have juice prepped and ready to go.
Vegetable juices allow you to absorb vitamins and minerals fast without your digestive system having to work too hard. Basically, its like little vacation for your digestive system as everything it needs is liquified. It does remove the fiber though which we all need to keep our system running smoothly so don’t forget to add in fiber rich meals during the day.
The benefits of fresh vegetable juices are:
- Easy to digest
- Cleanses the body
- Rest for your digestive system
- More energy
- Potential for weight loss
Let’s talk Organic fruit and veg for your juices. Obviously organic is best but can often be expensive or hard to find. If you can’t buy organic, make sure you wash your fruits and vegetables well to remove any residue. Look for organic produce on sale to add to your juices and you can even chop and freeze extra produce if you find a bargain!
What If I Don’t Have A Juicer?
You can blend and strain your juice if you don’t have a juicer. This is a good way to start if you are ready right now and have a blender, though it won’t be long until you’ll be ready for a juicer to make life easier. Having a juicer takes the ‘it’s too hard’ out of the equation meaning you’ll actually stick to your healthier lifestyle.
With any juicing recipe use them as a guide. You can add more or less to your taste, your dietary requirements and what you have available. Play with your juices and work out what you like and what makes you feel good. The better quality of produce the best quality of juice.
5 Healthy Vegetable Juice Recipes To Kick Start Your Day
1. Good Morning Sunshine!
Green juice is life just ask anyone who regularly juices. It is an ultra-cleansing juice that sets you up to be full of energy for the day ahead. This juice alkalizes the body which is important for digestion and overall health and energy. Green juice is one of the healthiest juices you can make and is perfect to drink every day.
- ½ bunch Celery
- ¼ – ½ Lemon, peeled
- ¼ apple
- 1-2 mint sprigs
- Wash and chop the celery into useable size pieces for your juicer. Remove most of the leaves as these can be bitter (see note). Peel lemon, chop apple and remove mint leaves from the stem.
- Start your juicer and place the catching jug under the spout.
- Add your celery and lemon together to help the machine to operate. Add other ingredients and juice.
- Pour juice into your favorite glass or jar and enjoy that goodness!
Note- The celery leaves can be bitter. If you are new to juicing only add in a stem at a time. As your palate gets used to less sweet juices add in more and more celery leaves. Bitter is actually really good for our bodies.
2. Healthy Start
This juice is a sweet vegetable juice and has the added bonus of the healing properties of turmeric and ginger. Just remember that fresh turmeric makes everything it touches go yellow! Including your hands, bench, and juicer!
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- ½ cm piece turmeric, fresh
- ½ cm piece Ginger, fresh
- Wash carrots, turmeric, and ginger.
- Start your juicer and make sure the catching jug is in place.
- Feed all ingredients into your juicer. Listen to your machine and don’t over fill to fast.
- Enjoy your fresh morning juice
3. Beetroot Zinger
Juicing beets must be one of my favorites. They are just so rich in color that you just know something so vibrant must be good for you. Beetroot has been known for increasing stamina in exercise, liver cleansing, helping to lower blood pressure and help you to maintain a healthy weight. This is one of the healthiest juices you can make!
- 2 beetroots with leaves
- 1/2 cm ginger, fresh
- ½ cucumber
- 2 stalks celery
- ½ lemon, peeled
- Wash all your vegetables and peel the lemon. Chop into chunks that will fit into your juicing shoot.
- Slowly put the mixed vegetables through the juicer and ensure you give your machine enough time to process without getting clogged up.
- Pour into your cup or glass jars and enjoy.
Jamu is a traditional herbal medicine from Indonesia. You can buy it there in large bottles from the local medicine woman or even a tonic bar and it is considered to fix a range of ailments from cold and flu and is a natural detox for the liver and kidneys. Now Jamu isn’t for everyone, but it is definitely worth knowing about. It boosts digestion and increases wellbeing. Jamu can be made into a tasty drink or a concentrated shot by how much water you add. Let food be thy medicine with this amazing drink!
Drink ½ -1 cup when feeling low or as a little pick me up.
- 5cm ginger, fresh
- 1 turmeric, large piece
- ½ lemon, peeled
- 1 Tbs honey (optional) If using honey get local fresh honey.
- 1 pinch black pepper (don’t skip! It aids the absorption of curcumin in the turmeric)
- 1 cup filtered water or to taste
- Wash the ginger and turmeric leave skin on
- Add the turmeric, ginger, and lemon to the juicer.
- Once juiced pour into a jar and add the honey and black pepper. Screw on lid and shake to combine. If you prefer it as a shot leave as it is. If you’d like it diluted add water to taste
5. Tropical Sunrise
Nothing feels more like the tropics like pineapple so why not make your kitchen a tropical getaway each morning. For this juice you can use fresh pineapple, canned or frozen (if using canned get the one in natural juice not in syrup). Pineapple is also high in Vitamin C which the body needs to build its immune system and to keep you healthy.
Let’s talk celery! This green beauty is low on sugar and helps reduce inflammation and boost hydration, it also contains potassium, vitamins A, C and K. You can see why celery is a favorite in many juices and as a snack.
- 2 stalks celery
- ½ cucumber
- ½ can pineapple chunks
- 2 carrots
- ½ apple
- ½ cm fresh ginger (or more if you like the zing!)
- Optional -coconut water
- Wash the celery, cucumber, carrots, apple, and ginger.
- Turn on machine and add the pineapple chunks, celery other ingredients. If using coconut water leave until the end and add to taste.
- Juice your ingredients and taste you juice. Add depending on your taste buds.
- Serve in a jar or glass
Tip- sit near a sunny window on a winters day with sunglasses on and pretend you are on a tropical island. Bliss!
Now you have 5 healthy vegetable juice recipes to kick start your morning. You need to be prepared for success rather than failure. Plan for the days you know you will be tired and pre make you juice. You can also cut up the ingredients for each juice and freeze in individual bags or bulk to make it easier, you can even freeze your premade juice! I tend to pick two days a week to bulk make my juices. Sunday and Wednesday work for me and I make enough juice for the next 2 days. This saves time and money as the veggies don’t get left to go to waste in the fridge.
Remember to experiment with your juicer. Find the vegetables you like and try new ones. Spinach, kale, and zucchinis all work great in juicers (this brand is highly rated) and give you that high mineral and nutrient boost we all need in our daily diets. It is a great way to incorporate more vegetables into your daily diet.
The more you juice the more you will feel the benefits and live a healthier lifestyle, where focus goes energy grows. Have fun juicing!