Air fryers are fast becoming as common as a kettle in people’s kitchens. With them being so versatile, affordable, and faster than the oven it’s easy to see why. You can use your air fryer for many of your oven favorites. But what do you do with it besides cooking frozen chips and spring rolls? I’m going to share with you 7 of my favorite Vegetarian Air Fryer Recipes to set your air fryer, kitchen, and taste buds on fire! (Not literally!!)
Vegetarian Air Fryer Recipes
Vegetarian or not, is it important for our health to eat more vegetables. The nutrients and fibre will keep you feeling fuller longer and increase your overall wellbeing. As the air fryer uses minimal oil this reduces your fat and oil intake which is good for the waistline and your health.
Pro Tip- Always preheat your air fryer. That way, like with the oven, you will get a better result with perfectly cooked food.
1. Zucchini Chips
Who doesn’t love chips?! I know I do. But sometimes it’s good to have options. This recipe works for sweet potato fries and for zucchini. I like the zucchini chips as they are a low carb option that still hit the spot.
- 1 zucchini
- Spray oil or 1tsp oil
- 1tsp garlic powder
- 1tsp onion power
- Salt to season
- Garlic aioli to serve
- Preheat air fryer for 2-3 mins at 180°C
- Cut zucchini into chip sized pieces just like you would for potatoes. Place in a bowl toss in oil or in spray oil.
- Sprinkle those bad boys with the onion and garlic powder then toss again coating the chips in all the flavor.
- Season with salt.
- Place chips onto the trays. Cook for 5 mins then turn (if needed) and cook for 4-5 mins more depending on desired doneness.
- When ready season with extra salt and serve with garlic aioli.
2. Crispy Tofu
These little flavor bombs are perfect as a snack with dipping sauce or on top of your favorite stir fry. Try out different spice combos and sauces or add as a side to any dinner. My family loves these instead of popcorn chicken.
- 1 block medium firm tofu
- 2tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ salt
- ½ cup besan* flour (or plain flour)
- Spray oil
- Optional- dipping sauce
- ½ tsp toasted sesame oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce or tamari
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- Splash of maple syrup or ¼ tsp sugar
- Preheat air fryer at 180°C
- Cut the tofu into 2cm cubes.
- Combine the besan flour with the onion, garlic, and chili powder in a medium bowl or in a plastic bag. Add the salt and stir or shake to combine.
- Toss the tofu cubes in the flour mixture to coat.
- coated tofu cubes into the fryer and spray with oil.
- Cook for 5 mins then toss/turn the cubes. You may need to spray with a little more oil.
- Continue the cook the cubes until golden and crunchy.
- To make dipping sauce combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Adjust to your tastes.
- Serve with dipping sauce or on top of a stir fry.
Tip – Besan flour is made from chickpeas. It is a great source of protein and is gluten free!
Golden Soft Taco’s 2 Ways
Taco Tuesday doesn’t have to be just on Tuesday! It can be any day!! I have two recipes for you here. A quick on using your favorite taco filling or a veggie filled mix you cook in the air fryer.
3. Easy Soft Golden Taco’s
- Any leftovers from the fridge or your favorite taco filling. (See below for an easy filling) recipe.
- 8 Tortillas
- ½ cup grated cheese
- ¼ cup salsa
- Preheat air fryer 180°C
- Lay out your tortillas and spread your filling on each one evenly. Add salsa and cheese.
- Fold in half and press firmly. Place into air fryer. Put the folded edge on top of the next tacos’ open edge to hold shut. The circulating air can cause them to open. Just check and press down using a spatula, as the cheese melts they will stay folded.
- Remove from fryer and serve with chopped lettuce, tomato, and cucumber.
4. Veggie Filling
This filling is cooked in your fryer. It is simple and delicious and packed full of veggies and flavor. Remember to keep the vegetable pieces similar size and if using sweet potato cut smaller than the capsicum.
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 green or yellow capsicum
- ½ red onion
- 4 button mushrooms (or your favourite mushrooms)
- 8 tortillas
- Optional- sweet potato
- 4 Tbs Smokey BBQ sauce
- 1 Tbs soy sauce or tamari
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp coriander ground
- 1 chipotle chili in adobe sauce
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat air fryer
- Cut the capsicums into long thin strips, slice the mushrooms, and cut onion into wedges.
- For the sauce chop the chipotle chili and add to a large bowl with 1 tsp of adobo sauce. Add remaining sauce ingredients and stir to combine.
- Stir in the mixed vegetables and coat well in the marinate. Leave for 5 mins (or longer) to soak up that flavor.
- Place the marinated vegetable mix into the air fryer* and cook for 10-12 mins. Check on your mix to make sure it isn’t over cooking. Turn or move the veg mix around to get an even cook. Continue to cook until soft and just starting to brown.
- Remove from fryer and serve on warmed tortillas or use in the taco recipe above for golden soft tacos.
Tip – you can place baking paper on the tray to prevent it sticking. Cut small slits into the baking paper to let the air through. If you use this method, you will need to flip your ingredients more often.
5. Veggie Pizza On Turkish Bread
Ok I’m not going to lie I love pizza. I love it home made from the pizzeria or out of a freezer packet. It is the ultimate comfort food and with your air fryer you can make it as simple or complex as you like.
Heat up frozen pizza in no time (don’t forget to add a few extras on top), reheat your lefts overs from the pizza shop, or create your own on homemade dough, shop bases or even on Turkish bread. Here is my much-loved go to recipe for Turkish bread pizza
- 1 long Turkish bread
- Pizza sauce (jar or homemade)
- 1-2tsp oregano dried
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 10 kalamata olives pitted
- ½ Onion, diced
- 3 mushrooms, sliced thinly
- ¼ cup drained pineapple (Yes, I put pineapple on pizza ha-ha)
- ¼ zucchini, sliced very thin
- ¼ red capsicum, diced finely
- Preheat air fryer to 180°C
- Cut Turkish bread in half lengthways (top and bottom), then cut into desired sized slices.
- Stir oregano into your pizza sauce and spread onto the cut sides on your bread.
- Sprinkle half the cheese on the base (trust me this is the magic right here).
- Add your cut toppings as your desire. Don’t forget that pineapple!
- Sprinkle the reaming cheese on top and place into your fryer.
- Cook for 10-12 mins. Check your pizzas, if cheese is melted and turning golden, they are ready.
- Let them cool for 3-5 mins. They are extremely hot and will burn the roof of your mouth. So be patient!
6. Cracking Nachos!
Nachos are the indulgence food that you can make healthier at home. I love to cook nachos in individual foil trays to serve to my family as an easy movie night meal. No washing up and everyone get to have it exactly as they like.
- 4 small foil trays (you may have to do it in batches)
- 1 pkt Corn chips, plain
- 1 batch taco filling from above or your preferred rice and bean mix
- 1 cup grated cheese
- ½ cup salsa
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cos lettuce, sliced thinly
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 cucumber, chopped into cubes
- ½ bunch coriander leaves
- 1 avocado (ripe for mashing)
- 1 lime sliced in wedges
- Preheat air fryer to 160°C
- Line foil trays with corn chips, remembering to stand chips up along the sides of each tray.
- Add your preferred filling and top with cheese.
- Bake for 10-12 mins or until cheese is melted.
- Mash the avocado in a small bowl adding in a squeeze of lime juice, some diced tomato, onion, and coriander. Mix it all together and salt to taste.
- Remove from fryer. Each person can add the salad of their choice, salsa and guacamole.
- I find my kids love adding their own salad and will often add more than I thought they would. Now that’s a win!
7. Apple Fold Over Pies
It’s dessert time! Your air fryer really can do it all! These apple pies will be the perfect finish to any dinner and make a great sweet treat with coffee.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 green apples (or a tin of pie apple)
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup water
- Milk for brushing
- Raw sugar for sprinkling on top
Optional- vanilla Ice cream to serve
- Peel and chop up the green apples into 3cm chunks. Place into a saucepan with water, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer until the apple softens. Set aside to cool. If using tinned pie apple skip these steps and go to next step.
- Preheat your air fryer to 180°C
- Lay pastry on a flat surface. Using a sharp knife cut in thirds (3 pieces). Fold each strip in half to form a crease. This will be your guide on where to fill your pastry to.
- On one half of the pasty add 3 tbs of pie filling, leaving the edges clear. Fold the pastry across and seal the edge by running your finger around with a little water.
- Using a fork press the edges closed including the folded edge. Place onto baking paper in your air fryer and brush with a little milk (this makes them go golden).
- Cook for 10 mins or until golden and puffed.
- Serve hot or cold with vanilla ice cream.
Tip – These fold over pies freeze well. Once you have sealed them place into freezer flat to freeze. To use place on tray and brush with milk, they can be cooked from frozen.