A bowl of beef stew is something a lot of people look forward to. It is both comfort food and the perfect plate during fall and winter. And some cuts of meat just need to be cooked slowly to become tender. So here's how to cook stewing steak in a slow cooker [full instruction s below]
Some have been passed on through generations and the others are innovations of first-generation chefs. Either way, it’s a delicious meal and we will tell you all about how to make it easy with a few tips and tricks we picked up along the way.
Let’s get started, shall we?
How To Cook Stewing Steak In A Slow Cooker
What You’ll Need
- Olive oil: 2 tablespoons
- Stewing meat: 2 pounds cut into one-inch cubes
- Black pepper (freshly ground)
- Baby red potatoes: 1 pound cut in quarters
- Carrots: 4 diced diagonally into slices that are half an inch thick
- Onion: 1 diced
- Cloves garlic: 3 minced
- Meat broth: 3 cups
- Tomato paste: 2 tablespoons
- Worcestershire sauce: 1 tablespoon
- Dried thyme: 1 teaspoon
- Dried rosemary: 1 teaspoon
- Smoked paprika: 1 teaspoon
- Caraway seeds: 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Bay leaves: 2
- All-purpose flour: ¼ of a cup
- Fresh parsley leaves: 2 tablespoons chopped
- Butter: 3 tablespoons
- Cornstarch: 3 tablespoons (optional)
Note About The Ingredients
- If you’re getting beef chuck, you should get 3 pounds of it which will come down to 2.5 when you get rid of the excess fat.
- Your choice of red wine could be Shiraz, Pinot Noir, Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon.
- The tomato paste will help make the broth thicker and make the recipe tangy.
- The flour will also thicken your stew after it is done.
- If you want a bit more tanginess and sweetness, you want to add some balsamic vinegar to it.
- The Worcestershire sauce will give the dish a lovely umami flavour.
- You can add any vegetables, but potatoes, carrots, onions and peas are pretty much non-negotiables.
Directions To Cook
Here’s how to cook your stewing steak in a slow cooker.
- Step 1: Take the meat you have cut into one-inch cubes and season it with salt, pepper and garlic salt. Get rid of the excess fat you removed.
- Step 2: Toss the meat around in the seasoning so that it is evenly distributed. Add a little bit of flour to the mix and toss it around a little more.
- Step 3: Sear your meat of choice for 45 seconds for each side in batches.
- Step 4: Now take this entire preparation and put it in the slow cooker.
- Step 5: Add one tablespoon of butter to some onions and garlic to make them soft. You can also add a little bit of wine at this point for flavour if you enjoy that sort of thing. Add all this to the slow cooker too.
- Step 6: Except for the peas, add all the other ingredients to the slow cooker. Add two more tablespoons of cold butter to the mix and switch on the slow cooker.
- Step 7: Leave it on low heat for about 8 hours. Then switch it to high for another 4 hours. This will make the veggies soft and the meat fork-tender. And isn’t that the dream!
- Step 8: In the final 15 minutes, add the peas and about ¼th of a cup of cold water. You can also add 3 tablespoons of Corn Starch or Arrowroot Flour (for Gluten free) at this point if you want the broth to be thicker.
- Step 9: Take out the bay leaves and add your sauce for seasoning and you are done.
Notes For Beef Stew
If you are using this recipe to make beef stew, you want to remember that it is best to sear your meat beforehand. This means you will have to take a skillet and brown it so that you get the full flavour after cooking it in the crockpot.
You should also remember to cook it on low for the first 8 hours and move to high only in the last quarter of the 12 hours of total cooking. So, when you do this with beef stew, the meat will achieve just the right amount of tenderness.
You want your stew to be thick enough and that’s why you add the flour. You can also remove about a cup of beef broth and keep it aside to cool a little. Add the flour to the beef broth that you kept aside to help remove any lumps that might have formed in the mixture. Make sure you stir it well until the mixture is lump free.
How To Store And Freeze
You want to store the leftovers in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge. This will last for three to four days. And you can consume it by reheating it on a stovetop or microwave.
For long-term storage, let the stew cool down completely and store it in a freezer-safe container. This will keep it good for consumption for almost 3 months. You just need to let it thaw and heat it up before eating it. It is much healthier to re-heat the stew in a saucepan on the store than in a microwave.
How To Cook Stewing Steak In A Slow Cooker: Parting Thoughts
When you are making beef stew with this recipe, you want to get cuts that have some fat and sinew. The slow cooking will break down the sinew which all adds to the delicious flavour. And when you cook the meat for a long time as you should, it will be nice and tender because the connective tissue will break down nicely.